A super quick literacy session study break game!
Game Type: Literacy
Recommended Ages: 6+
Number Of Players: 2 Players
Equipment Required: Nil
Where To Play: Indoor
Duration: 5 minutes
How To Play
Step One: Choose two students to stand up facing each other at the front of the classroom.
Step Two: Tell the students the game category e.g. words that rhyme with ‘cat’. Choose a student to begin. That student says something to do that with that category e.g. hat. Then the other student has a turn and so on backwards and forwards just like a tennis rally.
Step Three: Word Tennis ends when a student says a word that has already been said or a student can not think of an answer.
Suggested Topics For Word Tennis
– Word families
– Capital cities and states
– Students in the class (great for a new grade getting to know each other at the start of the year)
– Animals (mammals, fish, amphibians, reptiles)
– Dinosaurs (carnivores, herbivores)
– Sports (ball sports, bat sports)
– Things you might find (school bag, space ship, science laboratory)
Thank you to Rachel Glassey for teaching this great simple game!